July 16, 2019
The Safest Small Cities in America in 2019
With all those wide-open spaces, speedy commutes, and low crime rates, it’s not hard to see why many choose the small-city life.
But just how safe are small cities, really? And which US cities are the safest? The safety experts at Frontpoint wanted to find out. Our data analysts researched property crime data from the 2017 FBI UCR report to determine the top 50 safest small cities in America.
The US Census Bureau defines an urbanized area as a city plus its surrounding area, or “urban fringe,” that has a population of at least 50,000. So in seeking data for “small cities,” the Frontpoint team focused on urbanized areas that had a 2017 population between 50,000 and 75,000, and accurately submitted their crime data. We then ranked cities by total property crime counts per capita—including burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft. Here’s what we found.
See How Each City Stacks Up
- Rochester Hills, Michigan: As one of the larger cities on our list at 73,827 residents, Rochester Hills still ranks #1 with 471 total property crime instances reported in 2017. That’s just 6.38 property crimes per 1,000 residents.
- Weston, Florida: Nestled between the lush marshlands of the Everglades and tropical white sandy beaches, Weston is beautiful and safe. With a population of 70,796, this Florida city had 456 reported property crimes in 2017.
- Sammamish, Washington: Sammamish boasts the fewest larceny-thefts per capita at 4.81 per 1,000 residents in 2017. This lakeside community also had a population of 64,857 and 6.81 instances of property crime per capita.
- Greenwich, Connecticut: Greenwich is the largest town on Connecticut’s Gold Coast, with a population of 62,531. Framing the banks of the Long Island Sound, Greenwich had just 1.39 burglaries per 1,000 residents in 2017.
- Aliso Viejo, California: Aliso Viejo had the lowest population of our top 10 list at 51,984 residents. Just 15 minutes from the Pacific Ocean, this SoCal city is just about as safe as it is quaint.
- West Bloomfield Township, Michigan: A suburb of the Detroit metropolitan area, West Bloomfield Township had a population of 65,948 and is the second city in the Wolverine State to make the top 10 list.
- Middletown Township, New Jersey: Middletown Township hugs the Delaware Bay off the Atlantic Ocean. This bayside city had a population of 65,303 and 7.61 instances of property crime in 2017.
- North Bergen Township, New Jersey: Placed peacefully between two rivers—the Hackensack and the Hudson—North Bergen Township has a population of 63,490 and just 0.87 burglaries per 1,000 residents.
- Parsippany-Troy Hills Township, New Jersey: The biggest mouthful on our list, Parsippany-Troy Hills Township had the third lowest population in the top 10 with 53,478 residents and 7.72 property crimes per 1,000 residents.
- Howell Township, New Jersey: To cap off New Jersey’s winning streak, Howell Township had the fewest motor vehicle thefts per capita of our top 10 list. In fact, in 2017, just 0.11 cars were stolen per 1,000 residents.
- New Jersey wins out as the safest state on our list. The Garden State packs 10 of the top 50 cities—including four in the top 10.
- A high number of the 50 safest small cities are located on the East Coast.
- Hamilton, OH, might be one of the best cities on the list to own a car. Despite being ranked 298 overall, the city saw only .03 car thefts per 1,000 people in 2017.
- Palatine, IL, comes in at #12 overall but ranks #2 for fewest burglaries per capita with just 31 reported burglaries in 2017.
Bring That Safety Home
Whether or not your city landed a top 50 slot, you can still keep your home secure for your family. One surefire way to protect your place from property crime in your area is by equipping your home with an easy-to-install home security system. By choosing one with 24/7 monitoring, customizable home automation, and smartphone control, you can help keep your home safe the smart way.
Top 50 Safest Cities
|State||City||Rank||Property Crimes per 1,000 Residents|
|MICHIGAN||West Bloomfield Township||6||7.58|
|NEW JERSEY||Middletown Township||7||7.61|
|NEW JERSEY||North Bergen Township||8||7.64|
|NEW JERSEY||Parsippany-Troy Hills Township||9||7.72|
|NEW JERSEY||Howell Township||10||7.76|
|NEW JERSEY||Jackson Township||13||8.41|
|NEW JERSEY||Old Bridge Township||15||8.65|
|NEW JERSEY||Piscataway Township||20||9.33|
|NEW JERSEY||West New York||23||9.69|
|NEW YORK||Hempstead Village||34||10.63|
|NEW JERSEY||Franklin Township||39||11.55|
|MICHIGAN||St. Clair Shores||40||11.63|
Reporters can email questions to Media@Frontpointsecurity.com