November 22, 2011
Top 5 Tips for Thanksgiving Peace of Mind
Summer is a very busy period for burglars, but the holiday season comes in a close second for home intrusions. In fact, the FBI reports that roughly 400,000 burglaries take place in the US during the months of November and December. Law enforcement professionals regularly recommend a monitored alarm system as a deterrent. As many of our customers already know, FrontPoint partners with GE Security for the most reliable wireless alarm equipment and with Alarm.com for the most advanced home security and home automation features. And once again, Alarm.com is offering some great holiday home safety advice, in this case with a particular Thanksgiving flavor!
- Take care of the prep work. First, find a security system that will work around the clock to keep track of who’s coming and going, even during the family’s busiest times. Getting the best protection takes a bit of research and planning. Consider a family’s priorities and daily behaviors. Is the family often away from home? How does the holiday season affect the family’s routines? When is the home at its most vulnerable? If family members often forget to lock the doors, choose a security system that offers remote control of door locks through the Web or a home security mobile app. Unique user codes for door locks can also help monitor all the scheduled guests this year, including the in-laws.
- Accept help from family members, and from technology. Sharing is caring, and when it comes to family safety, every family member should participate. When the kids are done playing outside, make sure they bring their toys in the house. Toys and tools left abandoned outside can suggest that a home is also abandoned. If the teens head out of the house while parents are out as well, teach them how to control the lights and thermostats on their cell phone. (A well-lit home, particularly since it’s getting darker earlier now, can put off burglars.) Plus, while the family rests in their turkey comas, use a security mobile app to turn off the lights remotely from your side of the couch. Want to turn down the thermostat from another room when the heat from all the cooking warms up the house? An interactive security system can take care of that, too.
- Host multiple parties. With all the hustle and bustle around the big meal, you might be wondering what’s going on at the vacation home or rental property. One security system might not be enough for a family with multiple properties to take care of. With an interactive security system, it’s easy to manage multiple accounts all on one website or one screen of a security mobile app. Check up on motion activity and also view live and recorded video from multiple video cameras. If Cousin Ida is having her own party at the rental home, an interactive security system will give you peace of mind that everything is as it should be.
- Ask for seconds. To keep a home safe and track unexpected behaviors, double-check a security event log from a computer or cell phone, especially when away from the property. Also, set up customized text message and email alerts to find out when there’s activity at home. Be notified if a window or door is opened, find out who disarmed the security system, and watch the kids getting home from school. Or, find out when the turkey got taken out of the oven so no one beats you to the front of the line. With an interactive security system, you can develop a sixth security sense.
- Utilize time-saving tactics. Time-savers can be life savers. If concerned about remembering to lock the doors, turn off all the lights, arm the security system and adjust the thermostat, choose a security system that offers a home automation solution—one touch of a smartphone can do all of these things. Save time and save energy with a smarter security system.
FrontPoint remains fully committed to your health, safety, and peace of mind. That’s one reason we partnered with Alarm.com, the folks who wrote the book on interactive monitoring. FrontPoint provides the best of all worlds: the most reliable wireless alarm equipment, the most advanced interactive features, and world-class service and support. It’s a winning combination, which is why FrontPoint is the leader in wireless home security with systems that are safer, smarter, simpler, more affordable, and virtually impossible to defeat. We led the way with 100% cellular monitoring and interactive services, including advanced video features and home automation – one more reason why we are recognized as the #1 ranked home alarm company in the US. Enjoy your holiday, safe travels – and be safe.