When you make the commitment to protect your home and family with a monitored home security system,
there are plenty of points to weigh in the decision. Some of those factors include the following:
- How is the system monitored? The best alarm companies only offer cellular monitoring, as it’s the most robust, most reliable, and safest method to communicate your alarm activation signals to the monitoring center – when it matters most. Plus, there’s no phone line or Internet connection needed – and no phone line or Internet connection for an intruder to cut.
- Price of the equipment. Even though most alarm companies discount a very basic system, that limited equipment list is usually just a teaser and is probably not sufficient to provide adequate protection for the average home. Make sure you compare equipment prices based on your actual needs! A reputable alarm company will provide a written estimate, and work with you to determine your options.
- Price of the Monthly Service. Here you need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Only cellular monitoring is truly reliable, and you probably want interactive services, as well. Remote connectivity and control are quickly becoming a standard offering, including home automation functions (such as lights, locks, thermostats).
But There’s One More…
Careful consideration of the issues listed above will definitely add to your peace of mind. And after all, that’s what this is all about: the ability to feel protected and connected even when you’re not home.
But there’s one more important point to consider, and this has proven to be one of the most significant differentiators between companies in the entire alarm industry.
World-class service that you deserve.
As more and more alarm companies move in the direction of 100% cellular monitoring and interactive services, it’s increasingly critical that you make sure you are dealing with a company you can trust – and that has your back. In a perfect world, you’ll get service that really stacks up – service like it used to be, when companies really cared. And that level of customer satisfaction can be hard to find.
To many of the nationwide alarm providers, you are just a number – and you’ll usually know when that’s the case. Here are some telltale signs:
- Frustrating auto-attendant phone systems. How many buttons do you have to push before you can get to a human, especially one who can successfully resolve your issues?
- Your time is not valued. That could mean your time on the phone, with annoyingly long hold times, or being transferred around to find the right person. Or, it could mean that you have to wait for an installation or field service visit to fix a problem. They’ll take care of you when it suits their needs, not yours– even though we’re talking about potential life safety issues!
- Not earning your business. Too many alarm companies don’t realize that they need to earn your business – and keep on earning it. That means timely, informed, and courteous interactions with positive results.
Things Are Upside Down
In reality, you should expect moreof your home security provider, but somehow the equation got turned upside down and too many homeowners have been taught the hard way to accept less. And sadly, that has happened in part because some of the largest companies just don’t do a very good job. Check customer reviews on the BBB (Better Business Bureau) web site - what you find may not be pretty, but the information is valuable to you, the consumer.
More Review Sites to Check
You can also check Yelp, Angie’s List, or any of the many review sites that exist for just this reason. And while you’re at it, you can look at user forums for some of the new entrants (cable and telephone providers) who have added home security to a “bundled” service offering. There are some real eye-openers to be found there, and you’ll quickly learn why these huge companies are having a tough time making inroads into this industry.
Good Service Means Peace of Mind
The good news is that there is good service to be found. After all, the 13,000 alarm companies in the US can’t all be bad! The fact is, there are some companies that offer a true world-class experience to their subscribers – you just need to make sure you chose one them as your alarm company. And online reviews are a great place to start your search.
We like to think that Frontpoint is one of those companies providing excellent service, and our reviews and reputation certainly seem to support that opinion. We invite you to look at Frontpoint as one of your options when the time comes – and put us to the test.