Vacations are a time for fun, rest and relaxation. But sometimes that’s easier said than done, especially if you’re constantly worrying about the safety of your home during your trip.
We want to make sure you have an awesome time on your getaway, and that means helping you have peace of mind. Here are a few safety tips to keep your home secure while you’re on vacation this summer.
Avoid Social Media
As tempting as it may be to share every moment of your trip, it’s best to avoid social media as much as possible. Many burglars are monitoring social media to select their targets, looking for people who may be leaving their homes empty for a few days. Be careful even if you’ve mastered your privacy settings, you never know if a sketchy friend of a friend is looking for an opportunity.
- Don’t announce your trip on social media
- Avoid tweeting about what you’re doing, posting pictures on Instagram, checking into places on Facebook, etc.
- If you have kids, make sure to monitor what they’re doing on social media
Make Your Home Appear Occupied
Do all that you can to make your home appear like it’s occupied while you’re gone – or better yet, get a trusted friend to housesit.
- Double-check to make sure your doors and windows are locked before you leave
- Close blinds and drapes on first-floor windows
- Stop mail and package deliveries (the post office can hold them for you), or arrange for someone to pick them up
- Use Wireless Light Controls (or any other device with a timer) to have lights periodically turn on and off throughout the evening
- Allow a friend or a neighbor to park a car in your driveway
Count On Your Security System
The whole point of a vacation is to get some R&R, and that’s not happening if you’re constantly worried about what’s going on back home. Count on your security system to do its job, after all, isn’t that why you got it? However, I understand if you do insist on checking up once in a while, and here’s how you can:
- Check sensor and system activity via MyFrontpoint.com or the mobile app
- Stream live videos through your cameras, or view motion-activated recordings
And if the worst were to happen at your home while you were gone, you’d know about it instantly via text and email. We’ll also call to make sure everything is okay, or if we need to send the authorities.
Enjoy your summer vacation, we’ll make sure things are safe back home.
This blog was originally posted on June 5 as part of the customer newsletter.