August 23, 2013
Top 10 Reasons to Buy an Alarm System
I just saw another reference to the overall improvement in crime rates across the US – with one important exception: residential crime. For some reason, burglaries are the toughest nut for law enforcement to crack. Sorry, that’s a bad pun, since we know that a large percentage of home intrusions are related to drug use and dependency. When you add in an economy struggling to rebound, and high unemployment, you have all the makings for burglary stats remaining stubbornly high.
So what can you do? I recently found this great article that lays out a cogent case for investing in a home security system.
Top Ten Reasons to Invest in Home Security
You already know that protecting your home and your family is important, but you’re not positive that installing a home security system is the right option. Do they really prevent theft or are they just an unnecessary expense? Do they malfunction often, which can become a nuisance? What do they truly protect against, if anything? Explore these ten benefits of having a home security system installed to decide if it’s the right decision for you and your family.
1. Installation of a home security system is relatively easy, whether you choose to do it yourself or you have it professionally installed.
This is a very important distinction, and an enlightened one. After decades with no options, today are there are several companies that offer wireless systems that you can easily set up yourself, on your schedule, with no tools or mess. Of course, the easiest one to set up is FrontPoint – we do all the programming work for you, and it takes most homeowners about half an hour before you’re up and running. And we’ll always remotely access your system, to confirm it’s all working so you have the peace of mind you deserve.
2. Often, your home insurance company will give you a discount if you tell them you have a home security system. You may be able to save up to 20 percent on your insurance depending on your company and the type of alarm system you have.
Make sure you add at least one monitored smoke & heat sensor to your system for the biggest insurance discount. The good companies (like FrontPoint) do not charge extra for fire monitoring – or, for that matter, when you add monitoring of carbon monoxide, low temperature, or water leaks.
3. Alarm systems can be installed in different places, including doors, ceilings, walls and even windows. If your home has limited space, you can probably still find the room for an alarm system.
Most people know about motion sensors, but don’t forget the glassbreak sensor, one of the most powerful tools in protecting your home. It’s especially important for protecting sliding glass doors.
4. If a burglar considers breaking into your home, they’re like to be deterred if they see that you have an alarm system. Alarm systems alert the alarm company to a break-in, and in turn the police are notified. When your alarm system is installed, you can opt to have a sign outside or a sticker on your house that shows that you have an alarm system. This alone will often prevent a break-in.
We know quite about the deterrent value from the Rutgers study, and from numerous interviews with convicted burglars. With a monitored alarm system, you are only 1/3 as likely to experience a break-in as your unprotected neighbor.
5. Many alarm systems come with additional features, like sounding a small beep when somebody enters the house or walks into a specific room. The alarm won’t go off, but you’ll know when people are coming and going.
That’s true, but what’s even cooler is the ability for your alarm system to send you texts and emails when doors open, or the system is armed or disarmed. You can even arm and disarm your FrontPoint system from your smart phone, check the cameras in your home, or control your lights, locks and thermostats!
6. You may be able to attach the alarm system to a recording device. If motion is detected in a room, a camera will click on and start recording any activity.
That’s the way FrontPoint’s cameras work: they record a video clip, store it, and can even send it to your smart phone in real time.
7. You can find an alarm system that alerts you to other hazards as well. For example, many systems will sound an alarm if there’s a fire or the presence of carbon monoxide.
Right – and don’t forget low temperature and water. All these sensors are available from FrontPoint.
8. When it’s time to move, having an installed alarm system can raise the value of your property. Since the new homeowner won’t have to spend extra time or money to upgrade the house, you can raise the price of your house when you’re ready to sell.
Or, even better, you can move your system with you to your next home. If it’s a FrontPoint system, then you own the equipment, and we’ll help you get it working in your new residence. You can even add more sensors as you need them, any time.
9. Alarm systems are incredibly simple to work. Once it’s installed, simply turn it on and live your life knowing that you’re protected around-the-clock. You’ll feel more relaxed and at peace in your own home, which is invaluable.
You deserve peace of mind – and the interactive features available from today’s best alarm companies provide just that with a combination of services leaving you feeling not just protected, but connected when you are away from home.
10. If there are several homes in a neighborhood that have an alarm system, the percentage of crime in a community will be lower overall. This makes a community more desirable to move into.
This again is absolutely true. Intruders are likely to just move on when the see the FrontPoint signs in the yards of you and your neighbors. And since our systems do not require a phone line, there is no way for a burglar to take out your alarm system with that $3 pair of wire cutters.
We really like the list above. When you are shopping for wireless home security, be sure to check out FrontPoint. Our protection is safer, smarter, simpler, more affordable, and virtually impossible to defeat. It’s also the best deterrent to intrusion – especially with safer cellular monitoring and smarter interactive features. FrontPoint specializes in peace of mind: as the leader in wireless home security and the #1 ranked alarm company in the US, that’s our commitment. From Oregon to Texas, from Florida to Maine, in thousands of cities and towns all across the US and Canada, FrontPoint is on the job. We’re just the thing that burglars want to avoid. Just read the reviews, then give us a call.